"I have finally decided to jump into the hockey pool with both feet. I narrowed down my selection from several criteria.
Let's whittle 30 down to 1.
1. Stanley Cup Champions are out. No bandwagoning for this guy. Not my style. I enjoy the suffering. 19 ELIMINATED: Ottawa Senators, New York Rangers, Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Red Wings, Philadelphia Flyers, New York Islanders, Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, Pittsburgh Penguins, New Jersey Devils, Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars, Tampa Bay
Lightning, Carolina Hurricanes, Anaheim Ducks, Los Angeles Kings
2. The remaining warm weather teams go bye bye. Hockey is a cold game. It shouldn't be played where they do Spring Training and start going to the beach in April. 3 ELIMINATED: Florida Panthers, Phoenix Coyotes, San Jose Sharks
3. Don't want second best. If you've made a Stanley Cup Final and lost in my lifetime you are eliminated just like you were in those Playoffs. 3 ELIMINATED: Washington Capitals, Buffalo Sabres, Vancouver Canucks
4. Let's just get rid of that last Canadian team. I don't own a passport. 1 ELIMINATED: Winnipeg Jets
5. They can't have never been to the Finals. I like a team with some semblance of history. Even if it isn't the greatest there can't be NOTHING. 3 ELIMINATED: Columbus Blue Jackets, Nashville Predators, Minnesota Wild
So by the process of elimination and with no emotional investment or background beforehand. Welcome to the fold of my fandom, the ST. LOUIS BLUES!"
Image Credits: Sharks fan (sportsillustrated.cnn.com); Blues celebration (bleedinblue.com)